A health and safety management system is a process to minimize the incidence of injury and illness at the workplace. The scope and complexity of a health and safety management system varies, depending on the type of workplace and the nature of the work performed. The purpose of the system is to identify and control hazards, on an ongoing basis, to protect the health and safety of workers. This unit will cover the 8 Elements that make up HSMS, the importance of HSMS and finally how to properly implement HSMS in the workplace.
Outcomes Covered in This Unit
I can identify and describe the eight elements of a Health and Safety Manage Systems:
- management, leadership and organizational commitment.
- hazard identification and assessment
- hazard control
- ongoing inspections
- qualifications, orientations and employee training
- emergency response
- incident reporting and investigations
- health and safety management system administration